Marlene Danielle is an American actress. She performed in the original Broadway production of Cats from 1982-2000 for its entire run. She holds a Guinness World Record for Longest Standing Musical Performer.
Broadway - 1/9/1994 - 7/1990 - Bombalurina
Broadway - 8/1990 - 7/1997 (left for vacation) - Bombalurina
Broadway - 10/3/1997 - 11/1999 - Bombalurina
Broadway - 12/1999 (left due to injury) - Bombalurina
Broadway - 1/2000 - 9/10/2000 - Bombalurina
Personal Life Edit
Marlene Danielle grew up in Greenwich Village, New York City. She was named after Marlene Dietrich. Her parents divorced when she was 7. She has been divorced once and has sons and grandchildren.
Danielle originated the role of Chiffon in the off-Broadway production of Little Shop of Horrors. She starred as Anita in the Broadway production of West Side Story. She was offered a job as Chita Rivera's understudy in Kiss of the Spider Woman, but declined. She has voice acted for Monty, The Talking Eggs and The Land of the Four Winds.
Danielle auditioned 3 times for the Cats. She was offered her initial role as an understudy for 4 roles only after another actress backed out, by which time rehearsals had been underway for two weeks. She performed at the 1983 Tony Awards.
MARLÈNE DANIELLE (Bombalurina) was seen on Broadway in Sarava, Marlowe and as Anita in West Side Story. Off-Broadway, was Chiffon in Little Shop of Horrors and was featured in Damn Yankees at Jones Beach. Other credits include Fort Apache, Tootsie, choreographer/principal of her latest national commercial. Among many achievements, most rewarding has been collaboration on Black by Popular Demand with Andre De Shields.
MARLENE DANIELLE (Bombalurina) pronounced Mar-lay-na Dan-yell, was seen as Anita in the Broadway revival of West Side Story and as Chiffon in Little Shop of Horrors Off-B'way. Other credits: Fort Apache, the Bronx; Tootsie; choreographer/principal of national commercial. She has supplied the voice of several animated characters, and is featured on the Atlantic recording Christmas Eve and Other Stories, and the sequel The Christmas Attic.
- The tire prop from the Broadway set is on her lawn.
- She collected the Austrian crystals which fell off Mistofelees' song costume and kept them in a vase in her dressing room.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 'DARLING, YOU WERE PURR-FECT' Marlene Danielle hangs up her whiskers NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Sunday, September 3, 2000 http://www.nydailynews.com/darling-purr-fect-marlene-danielle-hangs-whiskers-article-1.887943
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 http://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/25/nyregion/public-lives-a-cat-now-and-for-17-years-nearly-forever.html
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/cats-on-broadway-10-things-to-know-about-the-revival-1.12104082
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0199810
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/style/1997/06/15/a-dancers-nine-lives/f44bd39e-a2f8-4e1e-914f-bbb0a0c6996a/
- ↑ http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/nydn-features/ve-cat-apulted-record-book-article-1.764296