Gray, Brown, and White
Original London Actor
Original Broadway Actor
Old Deuteronomy is a large, old grey cat. His coat consists of a full, fluffy robe. He is one of the larger cats, though he isn't mocked for his girth like Bustopher Jones is. He is an ancient cat who has lived 'many lives in succession'. Some fans speculate that he is 'immortal' or has psychic powers with which he guides the other Jellicles through dance and song.
Old Deuteronomy is considered by most fans to be a kind and just leader to the Jellicle Tribe. He is described as being wise in his many years and is respected and beloved by most the of the Jellicle Tribe. While he is 'old and tottery' and 'must go slow', he is fairly lively and dances along with a variety of songs performed for him. He is believed to live near the vicarage, as he rests 'on the vicarage wall'. He seems to care about Grizabella's feelings, he tries to accept her, but she doesn't seem to notice until the end. It seems he can't stand to see her broken down and sad. but in the end he wanted her back into the tribe and fully accept her and seem to love her.
- High Baritone/Tenor (to G sharp). Must be able to move. The wise, kind and very old leader of the cats. He has authority and dignity. He should radiate understanding and warmth.
Old Deuteronomy is one of the main characters in the show. He not only has a song in his name ("Old Deuteronomy") but he plays a major role in a number of other songs ("The Moments of Happiness ", "Invitation to the Jellicle Ball", "The Ad-dressing of Cats".) He is also responsible for choosing Grizabella to ascend to the Heaviside Layer at the end of the show.
|“||Relationships in the Cats Musical vary based on the individual performances. There are no 'canon' cats relationships and all information in this section is fan speculation based on fan interpretation of the character's relationships.|
- Alonzo: Some fans believe Alonzo is Old Deuteronomy's son.
- Grizabella: Some fans believe that they were mates.
- Gus the Theatre Cat: Some fans believe that, due to their age, Gus and Old Deuteronomy are close friends.
- Macavity: Some fans believe Macavity is Old Deuteronomy's son,
- Mr. Mistoffelees: Some fans believe nephew, or grandson.
- Munkustrap: It is commonly believed among fans that Munkustrap is Old Deuteronomy's son.
- Rum Tum Tugger: Some fans believe Rum Tum Tugger is Old Deuteronomy's son.
- Skimbleshanks: Some fans believe Skimbleshanks and Old Deuteronomy are good friends.
- Victoria: Some people believe Victoria is Old Deuteronomy's daughter.
- Jemima: Some fans believe Jemima is Old Deuteronomy's daughter.