It can be hard to tell, when looking at past productions, whether Cats playing in one location was a resident production or part of a tour, especially when tours can stop for several months at a time. There are various clues, such as cast information, reasonable gaps between dates, but without the official word it is hard to be sure.
There is also the question of how to define the various tours that are rooted in the Australian production... Initially Australian tour, then Australian with a few Asian stops, then around the world. But these productions all seem to be linked stylistically and by the same creative team.
- Cats started playing in Australia in 1985 in Sydney, then transferred to Melbourne. Both are resident productions.
- 1989 - 1990 Australian tour 1
- 1993 - 1996 Australian/Asia tour 2
- 2001 - 2004 World Tour
- 2007 - 2010 Australia/World Tour (Images used for promo for 2010 German tour)
- 2012 resident production in China
- 2014 - 2015 Asia Tour
The Question is, do we define these as one group of productions, in the way the German productions are grouped? Except for the resident China production, it seems like one continuous tour since 2001, that has taken breaks, been mothballed and revived....
Australia - Original Production
- Sydney - 07/1985 - 08/1987
- Melbourne - 10/1987 - 12/1988
Australia Tour 1 - extended original production
- Adelaide - 02/1989 - 04/1989
- Perth - 05/1989 - 07/1989
- Newcastle - 08/1989
- Brisbane - 09/1989 - 10/1989
- Auckland - 11/1989 - 01/1990
Australia/Asia Tour 2
- Melbourne - 09/1993 - 11/1993
- Singapore - 11/1993 - 01/1994
- Hong Kong - 01/1994 - 02/1994
- Seoul - 02/1994 - 03/1994
- Hong Kong - 03/1994 - 05/1994
- Brisbane - 07/1994 - 09/1994
- Newcastle - 09/1994 - 10/1994
- Sydney - 12/1994 - 02/1995
- Adelaide - 12/1995 - 01/1996
1999 - 2001 Cats Run Away to the Circus - Australia Tent Tour (black tent)
2001 - 2004 World/Asia Tour - South African/Australian cast (white tent) - under canvas throughout?
- Cape Town - 12/2001 - 01/2002
- Pretoria - 03/2002 - 06/2002
- 2001 World Tour - South Africa, South Korea, China, Malaysia, Taiwan, Scandinavia, finishing in Taipei in July 2004
2007 - 2010 Asia Pacific Tour (English, Australian cast) - 2010 German press images.
2008 South Korea (Korean, Korean cast)
2011-2012 South Korea (Korean, Korean cast)
2012 China (Chinese, Chinese cast)
Asia Tour - 05/2014 - 03/2015 (English, mostly Australian cast)
2015 Australia/New Zealand Tour - 09/2015 - >
Updated - does that look about right?